This recipe is very similar to a kale salad I posted a while ago, the difference here being I changed the dressing for something a bit lighter, and also changed the peppers and linseeds for blueberries and rose petals.
The result is something delicious, light and summery (though it is snowing outside, but for the purpose of this post, let's pretend it isn't).
Best of all, the salad takes mere minutes to whip up, and will keep in the fridge for several days.
The only slightly time consuming bit is messing with the cucumber strands to get the heart shape, but, this of course is entirely optional anyway-though why you would want to make something on Valentines day that isn't heart-y would be beyond my understanding...
You will need: (serves two lovebirds)
- Two generous handfuls of curly kale
- A small handful of blueberries
- An avocado- chopped
- A handful of pumpkin seeds
- A lemon 1/2 a pomegranate
- A couple of strips of cucumber (shaved off the side with a vegetable peeler)
- 2 Tablespoons of rosewater
- A small handful of dried rose petals
first make the dressing:
- Juice the lemon into a jar
- Add the rosewater and 1/2 the rose petals
- Put the lid on and shake vigorously
- Set aside Then for the salad Ensure there are no hard stalks on the kale
- Put the kale in a bowl and tip the salad dressing over
- Scrunch the kale well with your hands to ensure that the dressing covers it completely- you should feel the kale start to wilt and soften
- Scatter the avocado, pumpkin seeds, rose petals and blueberries over the salad and, if you're feeling romantic and want to add the heart: Flatten the middle of the salad with your hand so you have a nice flat surface
- Take two strips of cucumber, and arrange them in a heart shape on the salad making sure they meet completely at the top and bottom
- Scatter the pomegranates inside the heart shape you've made
Serve and enjoy!
Happy Valentines Day!